While it has been a number of weeks at this point since Andy visited our class, it is still pretty fresh in my memory since Andy gave some advice that I found pretty insightful. I particularly liked his honesty about turning your passion into a living. When it comes to his work, in all honesty, I'm not one hundred percent sold. I think the idea is interesting, but the conceptuality gets somewhat lost in the visual, in a way where it almost turns into a piece you might see in an office building (unless that is the goal, but it didn't quite seem like he was doing that). I did think the dance was somewhat interesting (I saw the video, not the live performance), I'm always for interdisciplinary work and I like the idea of not sectioning off performance art as something completely separate from the visual arts, and bringing some students into the work of faculty is interesting as well. However I do think it still felt a bit on the nose when it came to its commentary about nature, and could maybe have benefited from a bit more layeredness or subtlety (I still liked it overall and thought it was effective).
No comments:
Post a Comment